Medical Secretary Job Description
This medical secretary sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Medical Secretary Job Responsibilities:
Supports physician staff by representing physicians; screening and sorting mail, documents, and telephone calls; scheduling patient appointments and arranging referrals; billing patients and third-party payers; controlling accounts receivables; transcribing dictation; preparing medical reports, patient histories, operative notes, manuscripts, and correspondence; maintaining office files and patient records.
Medical Secretary Job Duties:
- Represents physicians by screening incoming telephone calls; recording and transmitting messages; scheduling, receiving, and announcing scheduled patients and visitors; screening unscheduled patients and visitors; arranging referrals to other health care providers; scheduling appointments for consultations, x-rays, lab tests, physical therapy, MRI's, CT scans, etc.
- Ensures physician productivity by maintaining calendars; scheduling patient appointments; physician consultations; professional meetings, conferences; teleconferences, and travel.
- Produces information by transcribing dictation, preparing medical reports and summaries, patient histories, operative notes, manuscripts and correspondence; planning, organizing, coordinating and controlling projects.
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; maintaining patient records; recording meeting discussions.
- Generates revenues by completing direct patient and third-party billing; monitoring accounts receivables; initiating collection calls and reminders.
- Secures information by completing database back-ups.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains office supplies inventory by checking stock; anticipating needs; placing and expediting orders; verifying receipt.
- Keeps office equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Maintains quality results by following and enforcing standards.
- Serves and protects the health care community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) standards.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Enhances physician office reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Medical Secretary Skills and Qualifications:
Office Experience - General, Scheduling, Telephone Skills, Typing, Business Knowledge, Organization, Time Management, Customer Service, Verbal Communication, PC Proficiency, Reporting Skills
Employers: Post a job in minutes to reach candidates everywhere.
Job Seekers: Search Medical Secretary Jobs and apply on Monster now.
Find out more about how the hiring process: